Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Planning a bedroom...

Well, the days are counting down till the day we take possession of our gorgeous 90 acres in the country...May 2 is getting closer! Sometimes I have a hard time making design decisions simply because I love so many different looks, and sometimes it's just hard to choose. But with our principal bedroom I know I want to keep things serene and elegant, nothing too frilly and girly...left to my own devices I would paint all the furniture white and probably do a mix of aqua and pink accents, but I sense that is a tad too girly for Mr Mouse! I think a principal bedroom should always be tailored to suit the tastes of both partners, so I'm looking to a palette of soft greys, charcoal, champagne, and perhaps a touch of yellow to brighten the space. 



Most of the changes in the new house will be cosmetic, but the very tiny bedrooms will necessitate one structural change; we plan to knock through one wall and create a separate but connected bedroom nook and dressing room area. I really want to create a cozy feeling in the sleeping area, and I'm going to be relying on fabrics to do the job. The upholstery on our headboard will likely change once I've decided for sure on the color scheme, but the thing I'm most excited about is the bed curtains. If you've been reading this blog for a while you'll know that I looooove bed crowns....but alas most pictures of the beautiful concoctions show a space with high ceilings...which we do not have! Canopy beds swathed in fabric are beautiful, but they can really make a space feel small if they are out of proportion with the room. But the other day I happened on this picture...


Solution found! Isn't this brilliant? So cozy, so inviting and so perfect for our future bedroom. I can't wait...

54 days and counting...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your move. It's a really exciting time for you both.
    sacha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom ideas sounds perfect for it not to be too girly and fitting for mr. mouse;) I haven't seen much or any bedroom nooks with a bed in it, this one looks so lovely! Hope you get to create it into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment...I love hearing from my readers! I try to answer all comments, either here or at your own blog.